Thursday, March 12, 2009

   Leaving Piedras Negras was another sad goodbye. Our time  in this small village in the mountains was time well spent. Driving up the mountain I developed a preconceived notion that we would be living in a struggling community, a poor rural village. I quickly realized I was mistaken. This community was rich in so many ways, and have done so much with little material resources. To me they define what it means to live simply and sustainably, and most of all, they were happy. 
   The little things all add up, such as growing their own crops, making their own honey, raising their own meat. Most of the community used very little electricity, altering their schedule around when the sun rose and set. The houses did not have running water, but there was never a shortage from the cistern a few steps out the front door, creating deliberate and conscious usage. Families gathered in the living room or kitchens to spen
d their evenings together. These beautiful people have the smallest carbon footprint I have seen yet and I admire them for it. They work hard and enjoy life equally. In retrospect I am able to understand how much I have gained from living with them for a week. I hope to spread this knowledge back in the states when I return. 
~Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment